Last year NIED launched our ‘Share your Story’ guidelines, meant to teach people with lived experience how to share their recovery journey responsibly.

Since then a few people have reached out to NIED wanting to share their story, including B.C. resident and mom of two, Parisa Zaini. Parisa is originally from Iran and battled her Eating Disorder without much support for many years before she came to Canada and was able to receive specialized help.

Parisa says her fear around food probably started in high school. She remembers her classmates bringing in treats for their weekly social hour and never allowing herself to have any. However, her Eating Disorder didn’t get extremely serious until 1997, after the birth of her second child. “I had a very bad delivery,” she says. “It was a life and death situation and I had PTSD after that.”

Parisa says nobody knew what an Eating Disorder was in Iran. Everyone just thought she was weak and not eating because she wasn’t hungry. In 2002 Parisa came to Canada to stay with her uncle to see what the country was like, because it was likely that they were going to immigrate here. Her brother was living in the U.S. and came to visit for a few days during her trip. Having lived in the U.S. for 15 years, he recognized the signs of an Eating Disorder immediately. When Parisa went back to Iran, her brother phoned her parents and husband to tell them what as going on and how dangerous her situation was. “I didn’t even know what an Eating Disorder was,” Parisa remembers. “I went to the dictionary and looked up what is an Eating Disorder and I looked at it and saw the description and thought – yes- that resembles me.”

Parisa’s family found her a psychiatrist who was originally from Germany who knew about Eating Disorders. But things got so bad that she had to be admitted to a psychiatric ward in Iran for 45 days. She says her time in the hospital was horrible with little to no treatment. “It was very bad,” she says. “I was locking my door all the time because there were people that weren’t in a good situation at night.”

Six months after she was discharged from hospital Parisa moved to Vancouver, B.C. with her family. Thankfully, after she arrived in Canada she was able to get proper treatment for her Eating Disorder. She spent two weeks in an inpatient program at St Paul’s Hospital and continued to get treatment on an outpatient basis for many years after that. She had a counsellor whom she saw weekly and she used workbooks and a meditation practice to bolster her recovery. She says awareness was key in her recovery and realizing the damage that her Eating Disorder was causing in her body motivated her to make changes. “Gradually I became better,” she says. “I think those were the tools that helped me.”

Parisa now considers herself to be about 75 per cent recovered. While she is grateful for her recovery she is cognisant of what her Eating Disorder stole from her while she was sick. She is an academic at heart and her Eating Disorder caused her to drop out of a PhD program at UBC because she was too ill to study. By sharing her story Parisa hopes to keep others from suffering for as long as she did. “I have to talk about it,” she says. “It shouldn’t happen for anybody else.”

To read more about Parisa’s story check out the Share your Story section on our website. If you would like to share your own story check out our Share your Story guidelines. We would love to hear from you!